For more news about the Isle Royale & Keweenaw Parks Association, follow us on Facebook by clicking the link at the bottom of this page.
2017 Isle Royale Plant ID, Ornithology & Night Sky Photography Workshops, Plus a Keweenaw Peninsula Plant ID Workshop!
The Isle Royale and Keweenaw Parks Association is offering three Rock Harbor-based workshops (plant ID, ornithology, and night sky photography) on Isle Royale and a Copper Harbor-based plant ID workshop on Michigan's Keweenaw Peninsula! For more information, see "Workshops" under the "Get Involved" tab.
Bob Linn College Scholarship
The Isle Royale and Keweenaw Parks Association and the George Wright Society (georgewright.org) are awarding a college scholarship in memory of former Hancock resident Bob Linn, a founding member of both organizations. Bob was Park Naturalist for Isle Royale National Park for many years before becoming Chief Scientist for the National Park Service. The Bob Linn Scholarship pays tribute to Bob by providing financial assistance to students interested in nature and the environment. The Bob Linn Scholarship will provide $500 to a high school senior with plans to major in the natural sciences. The scholarship is open to all students in the Copper Country Intermediate School District or children or grandchildren of IRKPA or GWS members* and the application process is simple.
- Graduating senior from Copper Country Intermediate School District high school or home school, or child/grandchild of IRKPA or George Wright Society member.
- College acceptance with plans to major in natural resources, forestry, biological, earth or environmental sciences or related field.
- Interest in nature and the environment as demonstrated by letter and recommendations.
- Completed Linn Scholarship application .
- Letter of not more than 2 pages describing college plans, and activities and volunteer work related to nature and the environment.
- Letter of recommendation from a teacher, scout leader, or other unrelated adult.
- Copy of school transcript.
Deadline: April 15, 2017
Send applications to Isle Royale & Keweenaw Parks Association, 800 E. Lakeshore Dr, Houghton, MI 49931-1869 or drop off at the Isle Royale National Park Visitor Center. For more information, please contact Kristine Bradof at , or 482-7860. The Isle Royale & Keweenaw Parks Association is the cooperating association that supports education, interpretation, and research activities in partnership with Isle Royale National Park and Keweenaw National Historical Park. The George Wright Society is a professional association promoting excellence in resource management, research, protection, and interpretation in parks and reserves.
*Note: Children or grandchildren of Isle Royale National Park, Keweenaw National Historical Park, IRKPA, or George Wright Society employees are not eligible for this award.